Juniper Essential Oil Benefits
Juniper berry essential oil typically comes from the fresh or dried berries and needles of the Juniperus communis plant species. Known as a powerful detoxifier and immune system booster, juniper berry plants originate from Bulgaria and have a long history of naturally helping prevent both short- and long-term illnesses.
Juniper berries themselves are high in flavonoid and polyphenol antioxidants that have strong free radical scavenging abilities. Because they were seen as protectors of health — both emotional and physical health — during the Medieval period, juniper berries were believed to help ward off witches. In fact, for years French hospital wards burned juniper and rosemary to help protect patients against lingering bacteria and infections.
Juniper Berry Essential Oil Benefits What is juniper berry essential oil good for? Today, juniper berry essential oil (called Juniperi communis in most research studies) is most commonly used in natural remedies for sore throat and respiratory infections, fatigue, muscle aches and arthritis. It can also help soothe skin flair-ups, boost the immune system, help with insomnia and aid with digestion.
Research shows juniper berry essential oil contains over 87 different active constituent compounds, including strong antioxidants, antibacterials and antifungals. With a sweet, woodsy smell (some people say it’s similar to balsamic vinegar), this oil is a popular addition to household cleaning products, aromatherapy blends and fragrance sprays. 11 Juniper Berry Essential Oil Uses (and Benefits) What is juniper berry essential oil used for?
1. Can Relieve Bloating Juniper berries have both antibacterial and antifungal properties. One of the most popular homeopathic uses for juniper berries is using them to prevent or naturally remedy urinary tract infections and bladder infections. The berries are also a natural diuretic, which helps the body flush out excess fluids from the bladder and urethra. This has the potential to reduce bloating. This is especially effective when combined with other antibacterial and diuretic foods, including cranberries, fennel and dandelion.
2. May Help Heal and Protect Skin With natural antibacterial abilities, juniper berry essential oil is one of the most popular natural remedies for fighting skin irritations (like rash or eczema) and infections. Due to its antiseptic abilities, it can serve as a home remedy for acne and some people also like to use juniper oil for hair and scalp concerns like dandruff. Use 1 to 2 drops mixed with a carrier oil as a gentle astringent or moisturizer after washing your face. You can also add some to your shower to help treat blemishes and foot odors and fungus. For hair and scalp, you can add a few drops to your shampoo and/or conditioner.
3. Boosts Digestion Juniper can help stimulate digestive enzymes and make it easier to break down and absorb protein, fats and nutrients from foods. This is because it is a “bitter.” Bitters are herbs that begin the digestive process. However, this has not been tested thoroughly on humans. But it has proven to hold true in at least one animal study, in which cows had significantly improved digestion when given garlic and juniper berry essential oils. Some people talk about juniper berry essential oil for weight loss, but this benefit also hasn’t been backed by any solid human studies. For a natural digestive aid or liver cleanse, you can try taking juniper oil as a dietary supplement by adding 1 to 2 drops to a smoothie or water.
4. Relaxant and Sleep Aid The smell of juniper berries offers emotional support and reduce physical and emotional signs of stress. Considered in folklore as a natural anxiety remedy, some sources claim it’s one of the most effective essential oils for dealing with inner trauma and pain because juniper may have positive effects on relaxation responses in the brain when inhaled. One study tested an essential oil fragrance that combined juniper berry essential oil with sandalwood, rose and orris. Examining its effect on insomniacs who were taking medication for their condition, researchers found that 26 of the 29 subjects were able to reduce their drug dosage when using the essential oil fragrance at night. Twelve subjects were able to eliminate medications altogether. For a natural sleep aid, use juniper berry essential oil at home by diffusing it throughout your bedroom, dabbing some on your wrists (diluted with a carrier oil) or clothes for an uplifting perfume, or adding several drops to your laundry detergent mix so the smell lingers on your clothes and linens. You can also add a few drops directly to a bath.
5. Heartburn and Acid Reflex Relief Another traditional use of juniper berry essential oil is to treat heartburn and acid reflux. To soothe indigestion symptoms like acid reflux, massage 1 to 2 drops of juniper berry oil blended with coconut oil over the entire stomach, abdomen and chest, or consider taking it internally.
6. Might Reduce Cellulite You can also use juniper oil as a cellulite remedy. It may help to reduce the appearance of cellulite thanks to active components like alpha-pinene, sabinene and juniperene. Add 100 percent therapeutic grade juniper berry essential oil to grapefruit cellulite cream to decrease cellulite.
7. Insect Repellent Just like citronella oil, the scent of juniper may naturally repel bugs like mosquitoes according to scientific research. Spray it on your clothes, mix it with a carrier oil and massage into your skin, or diffuse it indoors and outdoors to purify the air and help prevent bug bites. You can even include it in your own homemade bug spray.
8. Natural Antiseptic Whether you’re looking for a better household cleaner or a natural antiseptic for skin or respiratory infections, juniper berry essential oil may be one answer. Its antimicrobial properties help to kill bacteria and provide what could be a potent treatment for simple infections. Some studies suggest this oil might be effective against bacteria and fungi that are resistant to antibiotics. Juniper berry essential oil has a strong antifungal reaction against the bacteria that causes candida.
To help prevent or reduce bacterial strains from spreading within your home, use juniper berry oil on kitchen and bathroom surfaces or appliances. When diffused indoors, it absorbs odors from your home while also purifying the air your family breathes.
Run several drops through your washing machine or dishwasher, and replace commercial cleaning products — which usually contain multiple harsh chemicals — with natural antibacterial juniper oil mixed with water.
9. Powerful Antioxidant One reason juniper berry essential oil may function in so many different ways is because it contains antioxidants that help to slow age-related degradation, such as skin problems, as well as prevent disease. In particular, animal studies have found that this oil increases the activity of three very important antioxidants in the body: superoxide dismutase (SOD), catalase and glutathione peroxidase. All three of these have huge health benefits. In fact, glutathione peroxidase is associated with prevention and development of diseases like cancer and heart disease. This could be why juniper berry essential oil has shown anticancer effects against certain leukemia cells in lab tests.
10. Might Help Reduce High Blood Pressure Correlated with its antioxidant activity, juniper berry essential oil might be one natural way to reduce high blood pressure. Hypertension is quite manageable with diet and lifestyle changes, such as diffusing heart-healthy essential oils like juniper berry. However, if left untreated, it can lead to heart disease and various other conditions.
11. Flavor Enhancer and Natural Preservative Did you know that juniper berries are one of the key ingredients used to make gin? Their taste is also added to other foods, including some drinks, bitters, sauces, marinades and even sauerkraut recipes. In addition to adding a unique sweet flavor to foods, juniper berries act like a preservative since they keep away bacteria.